Before you read what I write. Read who I am.

Originally from Alberta and in the last number of years having been living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are now living in Woolwich, London where we inhabit a wonderful little 2 floor flat in the Royal Arsenal. The family has grown over the years from being just my wife and I to the family of four we are now. My work has brought us to London for the next two years where for the first time in ages we will live in the same house for more than a birthday. The experience is written below from then till now. With a view of the Thames from our windows and boat ride to work the new life begins.

6 Oct 2007

11

There are 11 days left till Kate's due date. We got rid of our dresser and cabinet in the bedroom today in preparation for new shelving coming from my Parents during their visit tomorrow. They are coming over from the island for a day trip and we are going to be hitting up IKEA and then dinner with Kate's family at The Vancouver Club. Gordon has invited all of us out to the event and it should be fun.

I look down at the private pool and exercise areas of the club from work and have always though it looked pretty swanky, what with it's Valet parking and all. So a buffet dinner in a suit should be an interesting experience for sure.

As we near the time of the 4 (new baby) Sebastian is getting away from us a little. I notice that we are spending less time doing his stuff and more time doing... well nothing really. WE are eating crap, feeling like crap, the house smells like crap and all kinda behaving like crap. Kate and Sebastian have been having some issues this week but Kate is also learning from this book she picked up some great techniques for handling Sebastian's behaviour. All in all I think that she is doing great with him and herself. I on the other hand need some training and I also need to get back to playing with him. I have been kinda neglectful of late and it's driving me a little batty when I do spend time on his level. I feel I am out of tune and I just expect him to play by my rules and do the things he's always done. This is obviously not the case and I end up feeling frustrated and exhausted.

I think the combinations of Eating better, reading anything to exercise my mind and playing with him instead of playing to kill the time before bed will really help us to restrengthen our bond and connect again in the way we used to.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like we are at odds. We both still play together, he listens to me and helps me and I listen to his requests and feelings and try to respond in a kind, caring and constructive way. I know that we both still have immense love for each other and that it the most important thing. He is only 2.5 and I'm still Dad and he is still my boy and that is what it is... fantastic.

We hit the coffee shop, beach and playground this morning and had a great time doing each. He was pleasant and polite to the coffee lady, fun and interesting at the beach and also very inquisitive and understanding. He was looking for crabs and found a crab leg. He asked what happened to the rest of it. I pointed out to a heron standing in the shallows. I told him that one of those birds probably ate the crab. That some animals eat other animals as part of nature. He seemed to think about it for a second, a little distressed but with a look of understanding. Next thing I knew we were off to look at a big rock a few feet away.

After we hit up a school playground near Gordon's new house and had some quick play. He was counting off all of the numbers on the hopscotch and other games drawn all over the inner courtyard of the playground. Then we played on the grounds and took the rain soaked slide once before leaving. It was honestly (especially the beach) some of the best fun I have had in a while. I don't remember the last time he and I just went out and did something that wasn't (again) to kill time.

No comments: