Before you read what I write. Read who I am.

Originally from Alberta and in the last number of years having been living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are now living in Woolwich, London where we inhabit a wonderful little 2 floor flat in the Royal Arsenal. The family has grown over the years from being just my wife and I to the family of four we are now. My work has brought us to London for the next two years where for the first time in ages we will live in the same house for more than a birthday. The experience is written below from then till now. With a view of the Thames from our windows and boat ride to work the new life begins.

6 Aug 2007

Why don't I post everyday?

Have you read this shit?!

On Saturday night I installed my new server and it went quite well until I said the magic words.... " that went wayyyy easier than I thought it would. Was it really that easy?" BAM! Screwed.

In case you didn't know... That = "Well at least it isn't raining" or the very popular "well at least it couldn't get any worse".

After that bomb.com there was about 4 hours of network troubleshooting with my infrastructure network guru and at least an hour and a half on the phone with apple. In the end we got it all figured out and the systems was running with a nice 2gb/s network configuration. Some throughput testing hit 952mbs/s which is twice as fast as anything else onsite. Sweetness.

So I reckon'd it all to be wrapped up at this point. I went to the beach today with Seb and got a call from the Oncall Tech asking me to take a look in to some stuff with the server.... After 9.5 hours of "looking in to it" a $700USD call to Apple and 5 hours with another of the infrastructure team we are still no closer to having the windows connection side of things working. Everything looks to be configured correctly but it will only try the authentication locally instead of heading upstream to the AD servers. It sucks. I feel really crappy about the whole thing. I wanted this to be a swift and seemless transition that had people singing my praises and thinking things like "hey that guy deserves more money". Instead I feel like I've let a lot of people down and that the powers that be are going to look at this with a "shouldn't have trusted him" sort of view. Which Sucks don't you know.

In the end I have to call Apple again tomorrow and spend even more time on the phone and deep in the server config to try and figure this out. With one Game 2 weeks from ship and one coming close to this needs to be fixed like tomorrow.

The stress from this had my ankle hurting like I had snapped the damn thing in two all day.

And hey, this doesn't even touch on how much I feel I let my family down today being gone all afternoon and night...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey - time to update!!

You make it sound like we're swimming in shit-soup round here. Let your loyal readers (me) know that life is back to good.

xo

K