Before you read what I write. Read who I am.

Originally from Alberta and in the last number of years having been living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are now living in Woolwich, London where we inhabit a wonderful little 2 floor flat in the Royal Arsenal. The family has grown over the years from being just my wife and I to the family of four we are now. My work has brought us to London for the next two years where for the first time in ages we will live in the same house for more than a birthday. The experience is written below from then till now. With a view of the Thames from our windows and boat ride to work the new life begins.

15 May 2009

So yummy in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy

This I found last night and tried it out. It is probably the best dessert I have made in a long long time.

Crumble:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine

Fruit:
2 cups diced rhubarb
  • Make sure you soak the Rhubarb in cold water for 30 minutes first and remove the outer coating to negate the stringiness
2 cups sliced apples

Thick n Gooey Centre:
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, spices, and melted butter.
Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9" square baking pan.
Arrange the rhubarb and apples evenly on top.

Cook the white sugar, water, cornstarch and vanilla until thick - This should be done slowly over about 30-45minutes while you slowly raise the heat. I would not recommend going much over medium in your heat.

Pour over the rhubarb and apples trying to evenly and completely coat them

Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45mins - 1 hour.

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so very yummy, I still haven't told the kids about it for fear that they'll never eat anything else ever again.