Before you read what I write. Read who I am.

Originally from Alberta and in the last number of years having been living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are now living in Woolwich, London where we inhabit a wonderful little 2 floor flat in the Royal Arsenal. The family has grown over the years from being just my wife and I to the family of four we are now. My work has brought us to London for the next two years where for the first time in ages we will live in the same house for more than a birthday. The experience is written below from then till now. With a view of the Thames from our windows and boat ride to work the new life begins.

31 May 2009

I h@te iTunes somedays

I moved my entire library from my old (3+ years) Lacie Hard Drive to the new Seagate Free Agent Pro 750GB drive I bought yesterday and in doing so was greeted with iTunes choking on the move. I had to readd all of my items to iTunes, create a new library and then it figured since that was all new and dandy that it should reformat all our iPhones and iPods to match! I lost all my applications and now, even though I went through the iStore last night and replaced things I use (and even added a few new ones) my iPhone somehow feels foreign now.... just not the same.

It's an odd feeling, I am out of sorts from it and finding that the whole change over has left me feeling irritable and annoyed with my phone. Is that odd? That a device that is a tool for my day to day can have the same affect on my morning as... say.... not sleeping or waking up in a sea of fire.

I've read about iPhone addiction and people who can't live without their unit for not even a day. I'm not one of those people, I leave my phone on my desk all the time and leave for hours, I've left my phone at home a number of times when going out or to work and somedays I find I don't even know where it is. But now I have to question what type of involvement I have with this device... what is it about this change that has left me feeling so odd.

I think the answer is the mild OCD I have and the change to the design of my phone as set off this annoyance with the lack of control over the change. This would make the most sense considering I just spent 15 minutes moving the blue and grey icons around on my main screen to ensure that the distribution of colour and icon look made a symetrical pattern that was bordered by the brown icons. Maybe I'm just fucking crazy.

After posting this picture in I had to go back and move the weather icon next to the im+ icon and the safari icon up next to app store because the yellow in the weather needed to be next to the im icon. I also looked to see if I had any other blue icons so that I could move the mail app up and replace the ipod icon then add a new blue in place of settings..... yeah I am crazy.

1 comment:

Gecko Bloggle said...

Two things:

1) I usually refer to what you're doing a "nesting" and it applies to workstations and laptops and iPhones (even phone-phones) and everyone from the non-techie types (who just want everything to be where they expect it to be) to the hardest-core nerds (who think it's faster if it's exactly the way they want it, even if it means spending six hours doing it).

2) Asperger Syndrome. Most techies have it. The folks that really *REALLY* get into "the zone" while working probably have a form of what could be called Aspergers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome