Before you read what I write. Read who I am.

Originally from Alberta and in the last number of years having been living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are now living in Woolwich, London where we inhabit a wonderful little 2 floor flat in the Royal Arsenal. The family has grown over the years from being just my wife and I to the family of four we are now. My work has brought us to London for the next two years where for the first time in ages we will live in the same house for more than a birthday. The experience is written below from then till now. With a view of the Thames from our windows and boat ride to work the new life begins.

21 Sept 2007

Got till it's gone....

Basically my parents have sold their house in Edmonton. The house I grew up in, the house my brother grew up in, the only "home" I have ever known. My brother is pretty broken up over it and I am too, to a slightly lesser extent. I miss the place and I know I will for a while but, I am so nomadic and have moved soooo much that the one place that is home, has never been as important. I'd like to use a quote from Garden State to fill this post.

"You know that point in your life when you realize that the house you grew up in isn’t really your home anymore…all of the sudden even though you have some place to put your shit, that idea of home is gone…or maybe its like this rite of passage…you will never have that feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, for your kids, for the family you start. It’s like a cycle or something. Maybe that’s all family really is: a group of people that miss the same imaginary place."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. I have to say I'm a bit shaken up by this too.

I never had that "home" place in my life ever... but if any thing was a constant, it was your parents' place.

Weird.